Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson Brian Lawson is offline

Default soft start

On Thu, 29 May 2008 11:03:31 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

My Supermax has landed. This knee mill has both horizontal and vertical
spindle motors. They are 5 hp. The vertical spindle will start with my 3
phase converter system, but repeated start/stop/start/stop will trip the
breaker. The horizontal spindle trips the breaker unless the drive belts are
removed. And then it "just" starts. Running load is just a few amps and I
know I'll never go to full horsepower cutting.

I have a 30 amp breaker on #10 wire going to a homemade "Fitch" RPC. Then
#12 wire throughout the shop. I can't read the nameplate on the RPC motor -
I think its a 3 hp.

I'm looking for suggestions to be able to start this mill without a complete
re-wire job. Some kind of soft start?? larger RPC pony motor?? I'll
consider a VFD only as a last resort.

Otherwise, this is one serious mill. I can now look down my nose with
disdain for those folks using a Bridgeport.

Karl

How about an idler pulley/simple style "clutch"?