Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default 6" cut-off wheel in a bench grinder

On Wed, 28 May 2008 23:17:45 -0700, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

Ha! The economics of tools is something I only started appreciating the last
two years.
Canadian Tire is very funny like that. They have obviously acquired a boat
load of various tools they have difficulty shifting. Even heavy discounts
(4-1/2" angle grinder for less than $20) do not seem to help. Then they
start inventing all kinds of gimmicks to sell the stuff - in the case of the
said grinder they made a stand for it to make it into a quasi-chop saw. I
doubt that they sold many.

They have produced a "cutting tool" which is like nothing else. It also does
not sell as judging by the on-going discounts. I had a look at it - it was
quite useless!

There are quite a few other examples.

I sort of looked at the tile saw last time it went on sale (I was cutting
stones at one stage) but dismissed it as my grinder did the same job with a
diamond blade - dry!

To be fair, they do sell some very good stuff and they have a liberal return
policy.

Thanks for the tip.

Usta be, back some 50 years, you went to CTC to buy car/bike parts;
then they added fishing tackle. Now they have so many gim-cracks and
gew-gaws, they had to open Partsource to sell anything to do with
automobiles, and the last time I was THERE (because TSC was moving and
had sold out of 3/8" gas line hose and second son was stranded) THEY
wanted 5xprice for a piece. Anybody want a collection of "funny munny"
cause I don't go there no mo!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada