Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Clausing 5914 - Replacement of VS and Timing belts

In article ,
"Dave August" wrote:

Joe,

A year or so ago when I had to repair the snap ring that holds the hydraulic
plunger to the bottom cone I was sure happy I still had my small import
lathe. :-)

If I didn't recount it here, the whole outside edge that holds the ring
had disintigrated. In the end I wound up making a much thicker disk at the
end of the ram shaft, and drilled and tapped it IN PLACE with a drill
fixture.

It's funny, but just yesterday I said "Gee the 5914 has been running fine
now so I guess I can sell the import and get some shop space".

I must admit I did think that this is why one needs two lathes. And two
mills. Vertical, and of course horizontal. And two ...

And a surface grinder.

Joe Gwinn

--.- Dave

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
I finally got around to installing the new Variable Speed (VS) and
Timing belts I got some months ago. I figured it would be a long and
messy process, and it was.

[snip]