Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default lux thermostat malfunction - house overheats

On May 29, 2:14*pm, madel wrote:
I have a LUX thermostat (model 1000?) in my vacation home. *It ran for
days causing the temperature in the house to exceed 95 degrees. *(It
melted crayons in the house!)

If we hadn't caught the problem in time our house might have burned
down.

We aren't sure how many days this problem existed, but I do have a
$1,300 gas bill to pay. *(This incident occurred in the middle of
winter, in the mountains.)

The other damage was mostly to the wood in the house: *floor boards
shrank; cabinet door panels shrank; veneer came off the cabinet face;
wine bottles popped and other interesting damage occurred in the
house.

LUX sent a new thermostat and requested we return the old one so they
could test it.

I'm reluctant to return it in case something 'happens' to it.

Anyone else have a similar experience? *(Hopefully not as severe as
mine, since you were probably at home when it happened.)

regards,
madel

Lux is not a top brand although I own 2 of them, if it were me I would
put in a honywell and call my insurance co and do what they say, I
believe you are covered and they would want the stat as they could
collect from lux.