Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default No heat during blackout?

On May 29, 1:31*pm, PerryOne wrote:
On May 27, 4:44 am, Joe wrote:

I had a 90 minute power loss last week and I noticed that my Weil
McLain oil fired boiler did not going on for the entire period. Up
until then I was under the foolish assumption that if there was a
blackout in the middle of winter my hot water boiler would continue to
heat the house. How can I protect against an extended power outage in
the middle of winter leaving me without power. Even if I had a
portable generator my electric oil pump is hard wired so there is
nothing to plug in. What do other people do in this situation?

I have a simple system.
After the power enters the house, the line is split one line has a
light bulb and siren - this is left on to tell me when the power is
restored. The other serves the contents of the house. No chance of
running the generator longer than necessary.

No chance of running the generator longer than necessary.

I assume part of your plan is to never leave home during a power
outage. g