Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default uWave ovens, was: 280V motor on 230V circuit

David Lesher writes:

James Sweet writes:

I've never seen one with a ferro-resonant transformer. They use a
standard laminated core power transformer with a pair of magnetic shunts
to regulate the current.

[Johnny Carson voice] "I did not know that...."

All I've ever had to a u-w power supply was to replace the rectifier
stack; or junk the oven because it was clearly smoked...

Someone one mentioned they were F-R, and a casual look seemed to confirm
that, so I never questioned it. A F-R is also current limited; short the
output and it delivers rated current, period..

Never seen an FR uwave. Why would they use that when the basic
circuit is adequate and reliable (more or less!)?