Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self Charlie Self is offline

Default OT - $4/gal Gas Threshold Crossed - Dam Breaking

On May 28, 4:15 pm, Tim S wrote:
Upscale coughed up some electrons that declared:

"Greg Neill" wrote in message
Bah! That's nothing. Here in Montreal the price is
at $1.42/L (142.4 cents) per liter. That translates
to $5.29 per US gal (ignoring the currently small
currency exchange rate).

Bah! That's nothing. Gasoline in the UK has reached $10.65 (US) a gallon
and that's certainly not the most expensive in Europe. Consider yourself
lucky.

I make it US$8.64 based on 115.2 pence/litre in mid Kent, SE England.
Remember US gallon != Imperial gallon[1]

Now, diesel - that is expensive at 127 pence/litre - I nearly had a heart
attack today filling up for the first time in 2 months. Good job my vehicle
gets just over 50mpg...

Still, original point still stands... I remember my old man whining when
petrol topped one pound per imperial gallon... Feck, that was long time
ago...

Cheers

Tim

[1] I got half way to the bottom of this anomoly the other days. Seems our
respective fluid-ounces are more or less the same (within a few percent),
but USians have 16 fl oz/pint and we, for some reason have 20. Everything
else scales from there. If anyone knows why, I'd be interested to hear it.

Back when I was a little younger, my old man flipped when he got five
gallons (US) and the attendant asked for $1.05. The week before, five
gallons had been a buck, and you still got the same service--oil
check, belt check, windshield and rear window washed. We're in one of
the cheapest areas in the U.S., and this morning, I paid $3.78.9, down
11 cents since the driving holiday. It's astonishing how that happens.
There's some excuse for a run-up before EVERY major driving holiday in
this country. Of course, it goes up a quarter and comes down a dime,
but, hey, that's bidness fer you. Someone has to get screwed, while
being told he's what's wrong with the world. AKA, Joe Consumer.