Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Basic 3D & CAD programs

"Winston" wrote in message
news:b1D%j.37502$3j.6976@trnddc05...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I'm a big fan of Rhino, which I've used for years. It's a NURBS-based 3D
modeler. It does have pretty accurate CAD capability, but if you're
thinking
eventual CAD/CAM, there are better choices.

How does v3 compare to v4?

Wes

I haven't even tried the new features in v4. Otherwise, it's basically
the same.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed, I went straight from V2 to V4.
I noticed that in V4, you can edit the contents of text blocks.
Not so in V2. Could you do that in V3?
That is a Very Desirable Feature for me.

Aack! Winston, I don't think I've ever written a text block in Rhino. So I
don't know. I don't think it's listed in the current new-features list, so
maybe it was added in V.3.

Mostly I've used Rhino for two purposes: to draw things I want to build
(mostly furniture, like the corner computer table and shelves I'm working at
right now) and to create 3D images to go with my articles (I used it a lot
when I was editing at _Machine Shop Guide_ and _Machining_ magazines).

I've also done a lot of experimenting with creating shapes of cars and
airplanes and such. But I've never used it to produce a blueprint-type
document. I know that lots of people do.

I *have* enterred text for architectural drawings with it, but I don't
recall any problems with editing them. Maybe I got them right the first
time. I just don't remember. That was years ago.

--
Ed Huntress