Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Consensus on CAD?

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 May 2008 13:16:13 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 29 May 2008 05:41:03 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
Winston quickly quoth:

El Cazador wrote:

Is there a consensus on the best overall CAD program for the hobbyist
metalworker?

Rhino!

http://www.rhino3d.com/

How about a program which is priced -less- than a grand (or $995)?

Get a wife who teaches school, or a kid who is *in* school. It will save
you
a major bundle on software. It's almost worth having the kid. g

If you take courses leading to a certificate (or degree) you can buy
the edumacational edition of Solidworks for only about a hundred
ever-so-thin US pesos. It watermarks the 2D drawings, there's some
limits on import/export, IIRC, and I think it's one edition back, but
other than that it's pretty much full-featured SW almost for free.
Don't expect to be able to use the models with the full version
without issues, I think that educational edition components
'contaminate' the parts and assemblies so that the whole thing is
'educational' mode.
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I just got my V.4 upgrade of Rhino for $95. g I don't know what I'd pay if
this was an original purchase, since I was one of the original 50 or so beta
testers and have had it ever since. Michael Gibson used to answer the phone
when I called in with questions or suggestions.

Maybe I could rent out my wife or son for software purchasing
purposes...hmm...

--
Ed Huntress