Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Petrol strimmer / brush cutter recommendations

On 2008-05-26 07:15:46 +0100, (A.Lee) said:

A local dealer then showed me the Tanaka range of strimmers/hedge
cutters/chainsaws. I was smitten. They felt good in the hands, and the
dealer recommended them for everyday use - just as reliable as a Stihl
product he reckoned. So I bought the strimmer/brushcutter, and an 18"
hedge cutter (both petrol).
http://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/su...ters-0000367.a
spx
http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/acatalog/...OL_HEDGECUTTER
S_1088.html

They do do an extension adaptor to fo fit a long reach hedge trimmer to
the strimmer head.
The strimmer has been perfect. Screw on the strimmer head, or take it
off to fit a steel blade. Dead easy, and it has been perfectly reliable.
The hedge cutter was faulty when I bought it. It went back twice, as it
would only run for 5 minutes, then die. It went back again, had a new
carb fitted, and has been trouble free since.
I would recommend them for everyday use. However for just use at your
own garden it may well be a little OTT, as the combined cost was around
£400. The dealer seemed to think the Ryobi range was perfect for
occasional use, but would quickly wear out when used daily. At half the
price, that is quite understandable. For my own gardens use, maybe 6
times a year, then the Ryobis would be on my list to look at.

Which models did you buy, Alan?