Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Peavey XR 886, 1997, mixer amp

Ron(UK) wrote in message
N_Cook wrote:
This is the amp in question
http://home.graffiti.net/diverse:gra...net/peavey.jpg
Yellow ring stands in for the 4 inch fan removed (position marked with
Fs )along with metal sheet that encloses the heatsink. The view of this

amp
is upside down as the fan is at the base. So drawing air horizonatally
theough a "designed" 5/8 inch space under the amp. Air then goes through

the
1 in of fan vertically and then has to sharply divert horizontally to

flow
either way through the 3 ducts in each direction. The central duct

contains
no active ducts and as far as I can see only interferes with air flow as
they are right up against the fan housing. Air then vents mainly at

either
end when the metal closure in place with not enough space to add a fan

or 2
at those points and nowhere near the mains transformer and main air

outlet
vent . A lot of venting must go up and out the mixer pannel slider holes

etc
as well. The 2 TO3 mounted thermal switches are marked S and restrict

the
air flow through the uppermost duct in the pic, the leads and spades as

much
as the switch body

I think that the worst part of that desgn IIRC is that the board is
mounted inverted with the sinks beneath, thus any heat which tried to
escape by convection has to pass through the pcb, heating the other
components. Am I correct in that assumption?

Ron

The heatsink is fitted onto the pcb that caries nothing on that area but
holds a lot of ceramic W/W seen either side on the pic, usefully, I suppose,
in the airflow.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England