Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Basic 3D & CAD programs

Hi

Thank you all for the Help, Rhino looks favorite.

Chris

I think Rhino is probably best for "industrial design" or "artsy"
sorts of things, while a parametric modeller like Alibre, SoldWorks,
etc is best for designing mechanical things that must fit together and
work. One might use Rhino to design a sexy package with a few
reference points, mounting points or surfaces, Alibre to design the
mechanism or machine that goes inside.

I've not used Rhino. I do have Alibre and like it a lot. Alibre has
half-price sales now and then. The last one was in Dec 07, extended
to Jan 08. That's when I got my copy.

Plan to spend some time learning to use it, "thinking
paremetrically". It's worth the investment. I highly recommended the
set of tutorial CD's. Alibre comes with some "get started" tutorials
but the extra-cost CD tutorials are much better and more
comprehensive.

Higher buck programs (SolidWorks etc) have more features and probably
are more productive for expert frequent users, but Alibre claims
that it can do nearly anything that can be done in SolidWorks.