Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix Bob Mannix is offline

Default "leaking" cistern

"Rod" wrote in message
Bob Mannix wrote:
"John" wrote in message
"John E" wrote in message
m...
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Wed, 28 May 2008 17:06:42 GMT, John E wrote:

I have been reluctant to force it in case it snaps off and I would
really have a problem!
You don't have a bucket? For flushing not using...

--
Cheers
Dave.

It wouldn't be the first time I have had to resort to using a bucket -
as you say, for flushing not using :-)

John

Eventually the UK will realise they Siphons had advantages over flap
valves - but hey! let's get stuffed by the EU.

Well, my new toilet was made in Turkey and has an immensely impressive
and high-tech German siphon, so not really an EU problem!

The main problem we have here is that nearly all bathroom stuff is built
for european high pressure water systems (mine isn't). I ended up
changing the filling valve on the toilet (3m45s to fill) for one from B&Q
(3m15s) and then sent off for an "ultra low pressure" diaphram (now 2m30s
to fill). The EU is responsible for the toilet arriving set to a poo
leaving 6l flush, above times are for the quickly implemented, poo
removing, 9l flush. It is dual flush, which IS a good idea.

Also had to return a basin tap (missed the letters "HP" in the catalogue)
even the LP tap is slow.

I connected the downstairs cistern to mains pressure - fills in an
impressive sub-30 seconds. (Haven't bothered about accuracy - might be
significantly less.)

For the bathroom cistern (upstairs) I ran a separate 15mm pipe from the
loft tank. It fills very acceptably - though a bit slower - despite the
low-ish head. I actually did this to ensure that the H & C were as
balanced as possible in the bathroom and would not be upset by flushing
(upstairs or down). But I did want it to not be mains fed - so that we
have a few flushes available should there be any water supply problem.

In both cases I used the supplied filling valve without difficulty. One
cistern was Macdee but I can't rememebr the other one.

--
Rod

You may have a conventional ball cock with low pressure cone inserted -
these will fill fastest. Small diameter, silent, modern plastic valves are
not great on flow rates! Impressively silent though, or would be except
there's a ball cock in the loft tamk and you can hear that after the toilet
fills!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)