Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
Rod Rod is offline

Default Electric cars a step nearer mainstream?

Probably a better place in the thread for this post, but I am getting
lost. :-)

We are used to seeing contractors' vans towing compressors. Is there any
reason not to follow that model for electric/hybrids? By which I mean:

Have a pure electric vehicle for short journeys.

Have a module that includes a power source (probably an ICE and generator).

Have a snazzy means of "towing" the module - which would have its own
wheel(s), brakes and suspension - and connecting it electrically to the
otherwise purely electric vehicle. (I imagine that it would almost slot
underneath the rear of the vehicle - but might stick out a bit.)

Advantages would include not carrying round all the paraphernalia of
IC+gennie most of the time but allowing it to be done easily when
medium/long journeys are intended. If only rarely required, the module
could be hired as needed.

Disadvantages might include significant (unaaceptable?) changes to
handling and possibly excessive cost.

Ideally, any such module would work across different makes of vehicle
(though there would clearly have to be differences between different
sized vehicles).

I'll leave it to someone else to decide whether such a vehicle would be
subject to the congestion charge. :-)

--
Rod

onset.