Posted to alt.home.repair

Default No heat during blackout?

"ransley" wrote in message
One year I noticed that my furnace would not kick on consistantly and
had to have it repaired. It turned out to be a sticky gas valve which
they replaced. Unfortunately, new codes did not allowed gas valves
with manual controls since people must have gotten stupid since the
furnace was originally installed.

The following winter we had an ice storm that left us without power
for 5 days. Kerosene heaters kept the house barely livable since the
weather cooperated to some extent, but had I not had a furnace problem
the year before, I would have had a much more comfortable experience.

Running any modern furnace to heat without a blower is plain ol, as
stupid as it gets, moron dumb.

Maybe. My old furnace never had a blower to worry about. It was 1950's
vintage, relied on gravity and worked very well.