Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Bubbling Basement Toilet

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 27, 1:28 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 25, 9:55 pm, Comboverfish wrote:

On May 25, 5:49 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 25, 10:06 am, Comboverfish wrote:
You do have an open (covered with grate) floor drain in the
basement also, correct?
No...there is no floor drain.
Geez, that doesn't sound good, but I'm no plumber. Is the basement
floor finished, possibly covering up the drain? Is the bathroom a
remodel job or was it original from when the house was new?
Update: Basement toilet overflowed this morning and water also backed-
up into shower stall through shower drain - while I was in the middle
of changing the brakes on the wife's car. Figures, doesn't it?
Town workers came and snaked thier section - no luck, not surprised
since it's fairly new PVC.
I used a flat snake with 2" diameter four-side arrow-like head through
the floor level cleanout in the bathroom floor. I managed to push
through an obstruction/clog about 40 feet from the hosue, which would
still be on my side of the town's cleanout.
Too small of a cable cutter will rarely affect anything longterm.
Like someone once said of attempting to pleasure an overly experienced
woman, "it's like throwing a hotdog down a hallway".
Everything is draining but I'm still getting a bit of a gurgle in the
basement toilet. I'm going to cross my fingers and wait until after
Memorial Day to call a plumber and have it snaked with the proper
sized head. No sense paying holiday/emergency rates.
Thanks for all the suggestions.- Hide quoted text -
I agree, BTDT. You'll know when it becomes an emergency.

Geez, that doesn't sound good, but I'm no plumber. Is the
basement floor finished, possibly covering up the drain?

Why do you say it doesn't sound good? I've lived in (and been in)
many, many houses with no floor drain. I guess it would convenient for
some purposes, except when the sewer backs up. Right now, a lot of the
back-up water stays in the shower base. With a floor drain, I assume
that all that water would end up on my basement floor.

Is the bathroom a remodel job or was it original from when the
house was new?

Both. The original shower (when I moved in) had no base, just a gasket
under the stall walls and a hole in the slab with a kitchen sink
strainer sitting in it. There was a toilet with a wall mounted tank
but no sink.

I have since remodeled by breaking up the floor and putting in a
regular shower stall with a base, a new toilet and added a sink.

Too small of a cable cutter will rarely affect anything longterm.

The call has already been placed to a highly recommended plumber, who
has me on his schedule for Thursday. In the meantime, I snaked again
last night and will do it again each evening. All I want to do is get
through each morning's sh*ts, sh*wers and sh*ves without an issue.- Hide quoted text -

Final Update...I hope

Plumber came out today and found a mass of roots in the drain about 40
feet from the front wall. This is (coincidentally?) very close to the
junction where the town replaced their section of the sewer pipe with
PVC 3 - 4 years ago.

The plumber said that if the symptoms return, I should call the town,
explain the situation and ask that they check out the line with their
camera. It's possible that the junction has shifted and roots are
getting in. Otherwise, it could simply be a bad section of pipe on my
side of the junction, in which case any future repairs would obviously
be at my expense.

1. BTDT. Shoulda done a side deal with the contractor doing the work for
the city, and replaced all the way through your basement wall. Yard was
messed up anyway, etc, and some things are best done once and gotten
over with. In my case replaced all that old nasty iron and orangeberg
(don't ask, you don't wanna know) with nice slick PVC, and it was like
night and day flushing the toilets or running the washer. Any friends or
relatives with similar problems, I tell them 'pay now or pay later-
you'll end up replacing it all anyway'.

2, As to the floor drain the other fellow was asking about- around here,
those DON'T go into the sanitary sewers, they go into wherever the sump
pit and foundation drains go. Drywell or daylight drain, usually.

--
aem sends...