Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hydraulic oil and condensation

I have good friends that have a dealership in them -
You bought it - I bought a house for that much years ago - and it
was new brick. Cheap insurance at any rate. See if you can buy
a 5 gallon jug at the oil company and get a discount. What does it
cost in your car or truck ?

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:
If there's a better group to take this question, point me the way. If
not, some of you guys have experience with hydraulics.

When I bought my Grasshopper commercial mower with a hydraulic drive 6
seasons ago, the dealer advised me to change the hydraulic oil at 5
years even though I wouldn't have 1000 hours on the machine. The lawn
services rack up 1000 hours in a little over a year and change their
hydraulic oil almost annually as a result. The manufacturer
recommends changing the hydraulic oil at 1000 hours - which will be
about 20 years at my useage. It requires synthetic oil and at $16 a
quart it will cost about $64 to replace the oil, and another about $14
for the hydraulic oil filter.

I asked the dealer why to do that, and he said he believed that
condensation in the oil tank would shorten the lifespan of the
components. He said it was his theory that that's what caused some of
the problems he's seen, but he stopped short of saying what
specifically goes wrong. He felt that it was relatively inexpensive
insurance compared to the cost of replacing components.

The machine now has 265 hours on it and is beginning its 6th season.
The hydraulic oil has gone from clear to light tan and does not smell
burnt. I can see some milky white oil droplets reminiscent of an
oil-water mix clinging to the inner wall of the dispstick tube.

Anybody here with specific experience with Grasshopper mowers? Any
experience with hydraulics and condensation causing problems over
time? TIA

RWL