Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default 200 amp main panel with 100 amp breaker

Some people would say that can happen, but in reality, it's bs.

#1. The insurance co has no basis for knowing 'when' this change was made.
#2. You say: "like that when i got here"
#3. done

Today all electric cable and a lot of equipment such as load centers have
dates printed on them.

I don't know about other places, but in NY, insurance companies pay for dumb
things that homeowners do. For example, many years ago I cut down a
neighbors tree, believing it was not on his property. The insurance company
paid for the law suit and settlement. another example, I did electrical work
for a fire job for State Farm. No determination was made to the cause of the
fire, but part of what burned was electrical wiring admittedly installed by
the home owner

"Mike O." wrote in message
One consideration about not getting a permit (if they're required in your
area) is that if there is a fire or similar problem later and the
insurance finds out you had replaced the panel without getting an
inspection, might they deny coverage? Even if the problem had nothing to
do with the panel change, I'm wondering if they would use it as a
justification to avoid payment.

I'm not any kind of expert, and of course it's up to the homeowner, but
that was a concern I had when I did a panel upgrade several years ago. My
service could handle 200A, though, so the only extra cost was the $30
permit/inspection fee.

Mike O.

"S. Barker" wrote in message
ANOTHER good reason not to get the city involved. What the OP is
proposing is perfectly safe and doesn't need any governmental
intervention.

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
. ..

Not necessarily. My son wanted to update his 100 amp service box with
larger number of circuits. The city refused the permit unless he
totally
upgraded to 200 amp service. That was not necessary for me when I
simply
changed breaker boxes for a larger number of circuits. Check with the
city
zoning and permit office.

And the question is???