Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony Mike Dobony is offline

Default 200 amp main panel with 100 amp breaker

On Tue, 27 May 2008 10:03:46 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

Mike Dobony wrote:
On Tue, 27 May 2008 08:13:37 -0500, dpb wrote:

Not necessarily. My son wanted to update his 100 amp service box
with a larger number of circuits. The city refused the permit unless
he totally upgraded to 200 amp service. That was not necessary for
me when I simply changed breaker boxes for a larger number of
circuits. Check with the city zoning and permit office.

Shame you have to live in a city that requires a permit to replace or modify
a breaker box.

If you have no shutoff at the meter or pole and you need to pull the meter
to shut off the electricity the utility company will require a permit. I
took advantage of a major power outage to change one box out.