Posted to uk.d-i-y
John E[_4_] John E[_4_] is offline

Default "leaking" cistern

"stuart noble" wrote in message
John E wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 28 May 2008 14:10:58 GMT, John E wrote:

I have recently noticed that there is a very slight but constant
trickle of water into the bowl as if the siphon has not shut off
completely.
A siphon is either on or off they don't trickle. Is that a real siphon
or a drop flap valve? Drop flaps can get crud into them and then they
will leak a trickle. I also suspect that that valve/siphon might
incorporate an internal overflow which would also produce a trickle
down the pan.

A lot of modern taps and valves don't take kindly to scale and respond
by dribbling...

We are in a very hard water area here.

You can get 3 part syphons which allow you to change the working bits
without taking the cistern off. Not much help this time but at least you
wouldn't have to dismantle it again

Thanks Stuart - I will pop down to our local plumbers merchant and see what
they suggest.
John