Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

Default Electric cars a step nearer mainstream?

On Wed, 28 May 2008 13:28:18 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

Where do you live?

In the middle of "Englands last Wilderness" aka the North Pennines.
Basically 20+ miles from anything other than a small Co-ops.

My weekly shop is about two miles, and I don't do a monthly shop as the
weekly place has everything I need (that isn't within walking distance
already).

The local Co-op 2.5 miles away has the essentials like bread and milk but
doesn't stock some things we use, not to mention the prices being rather
high. 500g Bertolli £1.75 in the local Co-op 1000g Bertolli £2.05 in
Costco... Beer around £1.60/bottle - Costco just over £1.00.

An electric car shouldn't be affected by altitude. Are you starting the
trip from the top or the bottom?

Not performance wise like a combustion engine struggles for oxygen at
altitude (you need to be getting rather higher than the highest parts of
the UK for that to be a problem) but you need to supply the potential
energy to lift the car and occupants. See other post...

The trip from home to Penrith starts at 1400' drops to about 1000' in 3
miles, rises back up to 1900' in 6 miles, drops to 600' in 4 miles. The
rest of the trip, about 10 miles, is "flat" only dropping about 150' but
has couple of short steepish bits.

--
Cheers
Dave.