Posted to uk.d-i-y
John E[_4_] John E[_4_] is offline

Default "leaking" cistern

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
"John E" wrote in message
m...
In the bathroom I have an Armitage Shanks Tiffany close-coupled WC with
push
button flush. It is approx. 3 years old.

I have recently noticed that there is a very slight but constant trickle
of
water into the bowl as if the siphon has not shut off completely. This is
not a case of the push button assembly pushing down on the siphon as the
flow does not stop when the lid is removed.

I have replaced old siphons in my time but this type is new to me. I
don't
know whether there are any serviceable parts. Pictures at:

www.paperman.myby.co.uk/pics/Cist11.jpg

www.paperman.myby.co.uk/pics/Cist22.jpg

Can anyone advise me what the problem could be and let me know if it is
curable or will the whole assembly have to be replaced.

Looks to me like a flap valve rather than a siphon. These are [very] prone
to leakage. You can get a siphon of roughly the same cross section in B&Q
for under £10, AFAICR. Siphons don't leak (by their nature). They may stop
flushing however if they break.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

I was hoping to avoid taking the cistern off the wall. It looks as though
the top part of the valve might unclip but I have been reluctant to force it
in case it snaps off and I would really have a problem!

John