Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken[_6_] Ken[_6_] is offline

Default Under counter sink not flush in granite counter

wrote:
On May 26, 9:45 pm, Ken wrote:
wrote:
Is there a standard for installing under mount sinks in a granite
counter? The company who created the counter top cut the hole for the
sink about 1/4 inch larger than the sink opening all the way around so
that, when looking down from above, we see 1/4 inch of the stainless
steel sink.
--| This is a side view
|_

The guy who measured for the counter top didn't mention any options or
give any choices. Our neighbor has a granite counter and her sink is
flush.

When you had the cutout made for the sink, you had two options. One
was a flush opening with the sidewalls of the sink, and the other is a
recessed one. It sounds like you have the recessed option. I would
hope you were consulted as to which one you wanted, for it is too late now.

The measuring guy took the template that came with the sink.
I did call the sink manufacturer and was told that there would be no
problem installing the sink flush if that is what we wanted so it's
not a matter of incorrect installation vrs correct.

I still think the guy who measured should have given me the option of
flush with the granite since I never even considered that there would
be another way to do it (which is why I'm starting to get annoyed when
people say I should have requested it... I never thought there was
more than one way it would be done and NOT this way!).

I suppose a discount is the most I can hope for. This is why I'm
looking to the people here to tell me if I'm being unreasonable.

Joy

Sorry to hear that you were not given the choice. I recently had a new
countertop and under mounted sink installed. Since I purchased the sink
and had it in hand when the countertop people measured for the counter I
knew exactly which options I had. That being said, I opted for what you
received because after having talked to several others who had such a
sink, I thought the joint where the under mounted sink and countertop
meet would be less apt to accumulate crud. I realize that they caulk
this joint, but a flush mount does create a larger cavity than the
recessed one you have. I don't know if this is any comfort to you, but
I just thought I would share my experience with you. You might talk to
some who have an under mounted sink and see which they prefer.