Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 200 amp main panel with 100 amp breaker

wrote in message
On May 27, 4:13�pm, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

A new friend asked me.......

He has a FPE stab loc 100 amp main panel, and knows this model can
cause fires. worse his panel has many 1/2 breakers, panel is maxed out
with around 28 circuits. ABSOLUTELY JAMMED

he wonders about replacing the 100 amp panel with a 200 amp, to get 40
breakers, and swap out for now the main 200 amp breaker for a 100 amp?

he has never had a main breaker trip, his problem is FPE, and number
of circuits. h

So Haller, you're finally getting around to replacing YOUR fire hazard FPE
panel are you. Well, you can't swap a 200 amp main breaker for a 100 amp,
simply because it won't fit, but you can do what gfretwell recommends, or
simply spend a few more bucks and do the complete service

actyually my FPE was replaced near a year ago. my buddy looked to
answers from me since I had been thru this, but wanted to DIY the
project.

he basically wired his home and did a good job, but doesnt want to
bother with permits etc

Could you please explain the logic behind wiring a home and changing the
service, but not wanting to get the work inspected. I don't understand the
reasoning behind this. As a contractor I welcome inspections because they
reaffirm that my work was done properly and should an issue of liability
arise in the future I have evidence that an independent party found my work
to be safe and compliant.