Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default 200 amp main panel with 100 amp breaker

wrote:
On Tue, 27 May 2008 14:44:17 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

he basically wired his home and did a good job, but doesnt want to
bother with permits etc

Without bringing up the "insurance" boogie man I can still give you
the real reason for a permit.
Unless your PoCo has a great sense of humor they won't hook up your
new SE cable without one, or even reseal the meter if you pull it.
I hope you are not planning to work the SE conductors hot.

In our city (Houston), you tell the power company you want to temporarily
remove the meter. Their standard is six hours from the call to have a worker
remove the seal (and probably record the reading). You pull the meter at
your convenience. When you get everything back in order, call the power
company again. This time, they'll re-seal the meter (and probably take
another reading) within 24 hours.

This is the sequence I've been through twice in the past couple of years.

Sorry about your town.