Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Electric cars a step nearer mainstream?

On 2008-05-28 13:09:41 +0100, "dennis@home"
said:

Once some idiot has flooded the forecourt with a few hundred liters
of fuel you will understand.

How often does that happen in the US, then?

It doesn't matter, it can, but not if they have to hold the handle.

This doesn't happen because the trip mechanism in the handle still
works. All petrol stations I have used in the U.S. have the latch wires
on the pump handles. I have never seen a flood of fuel.

So we are to assume you spend 24 hrs a day watching petrol stations
looking for fuel spills?

Never assume anything. Very dangerous.

Why? you assume stuff all the time.

I have never seen a plane crash, or a train crash but they happen.

I've seen both.

Live or on TV?

I bet you haven't seen one either so are you are going to say they don't
happen either?
People that stupidly state "I have never seen one" and expect anyone to
take any notice are, well, being stupid.

There is nothing incorrect about saying that I have not seen a fuel spill
because of the latching mechanism being in use.

Its also irrelevant.

I am not disputing that this *can* happen, but certainly that it is a big
problem as you are implying.

If you think about it, if it *were* a big problem, then either the handles
would have been redesigned or the mechanisms set as they are here.

Why?
The Americans don't have the same regard for safety as we do.

Since most other countries have the latch wires in the pump handles, it
rather suggests that this does not cause an issue for any meaningful
amount of measurement.

Well you circumvent the mechanism if you want, its obvious that you are an
expert in everything.