PoP

Default Sanders

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 12:54:42 +0100, Steve wrote:

Hi all, im about to start redecorating the whole house, but a lot of
the ceiling and walls have very patchy plaster work (lumps and bumps)
paint peeling etc also the door frames need sanding back.
Would anyone have any suggestions for a good sander or sanders, one
for large area work walls and ceilings and one for frames etc.
im looking to pay around the £100 mark for the two any ideas?

You really need something like a belt sander for removing wall
material, this isn't a job for your average flat sander. The type of
thing you would be looking at would be like this:

You also need some coarse sanding belts for the above. Fine belts clog
all too easily - even the course belts do. Maybe 40 grit or 60 grit.
You will most likely be changing belts frequently depending on the
area to be flattened. Look at this for an example:

Note: I don't know if that particular type will fit the above sander,
make sure to check before ordering.

These sanders in my experience are VERY noisy in operation, leastways
the one I have is. Get some decent ear defenders as well.

Prepare for lots and lots of fine dust in the work area. If you can
arrange for your other half to hold a decent vacuum cleaner hose close
to the work area (or better still, attached to the sander) it will
help a lot. Close all doors to other rooms etc, and be prepared to
wear face masks - you don't want to be breathing this fine dust.

PoP