Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Electric cars a step nearer mainstream?

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"T i m" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 May 2008 15:56:08 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
news On Tue, 27 May 2008 13:54:34 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

p.s. And Hybrids really aren't in the equation .. 2 mile electric
range and IC powered after that shrug.

Only if you go on long runs. The average town journey has the motor
assisting a lot of the time.

sigh

And the electric motor gets it's
power from (and if you say the
batteries what happens after the two miles)?

You need to understand how they work properly.

Please explain how my statement is incorrect?

No, the ONLY advantage of a Hybrid (over a straight IC car) is that
it can make use of regenerative breaking and only then presumably when
the batteries aren't already fully charged?

Kerbside emissions are virtually eliminated with a Prius.

For two miles, great, after that it's a plain old [1] IC car. What if
you live a few miles out of town (as most people do) drive hard into
town (so drawing on the battery) and were to switch it into electric
only mode when you saw some kerbs (otherwise the IC engine would be
frantically trying to get the battery charged while you were sat in
the traffic and doing zero mpg) it would take you what .. another
500 yards? So by 'virtually' you meant 'in your imagination'?

Again.."Kerbside emissions are virtually eliminated with a Prius." Stop
guessing.

I really have an EV, not just a catalogue. ;-)

I would rather a catalogue than the one you have got.

p.s. I've just had an idea. I could couple my Rover behind the
Electric car, with the Rovers engine stuck on 2000 rpm and with the
alternator hooked up to the Electric cars batteries .. presto .. A
Hybrid!

I do like lateral thinking.

He said he could couple in-line, not laterally!