Posted to alt.home.repair
Erma1ina Erma1ina is offline

Default Generator Useage

Dottie wrote:

I am going to buy a generator this year (I'm in FL). I have a chart
showing how many watts most appliances use but what I need is a chart
showing how many amps each appliance uses. Does anyone know of a
chart online that I could print out? Thanks.

Check out the following:

http://www.nooutage.com/generato2.htm

and

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/P...set=gg_wattage

Dottie, if you're looking for a good, reliable, highly energy-efficient
(approx 8 hrs powering realistic loads on 1 gal. gas) , quiet generator
that is truly portable (approx. 50 lbs fully-gassed and about the size
of a small suitcase) and which produces "clean" power (the "i" stands
for "inverter"), I highly recommend the Honda EU2000i. With a little
extension cord juggling it can power lots of stuff. However, since
you're in FL you'll probably want to power at least a small window A/C
and I'm not sure about that.

I just fired up mine a couple of days ago after some nasty storms (Iowa)
cut out power. In the winter, I test it under load about once per month
and it will RUN simultaneously: a furnace (nat. gas with 1/3 hp blower
motor and with a transfer switch installed for that circuit only),
refrig-freezer, chest freezer, and radio. I imagine that if any TWO of
the furnace, refrig-freezer or freezer STARTED UP at exactly the same
time that would likely overload it but that hasn't happened in any test
or real use. I've also powered a 1/3 hp sump pump substituted for the
chest freezer.