Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 14 AWG vs. 12 AWG for lighting?

On May 27, 5:24�pm, "Jerry Cloe" wrote:
How do I determine the maximum number of lighting fixtures I can wire
from one light switch? �I'm thinking of 12 recessed light fixtures (on
a dimmer switch for the main room of the basement). �But is 14 AWG
sufficient? or should I use 12 AWG from the switch to each?

14 guage "may" be sufficient depending on length of runs and stuff, BUT
watch out, a lot of dimmers are only rated for a 600 watt load, if you have
12 fixtures with 75 watt bulbs, thats 900 watts, if you put 100 watt bulbs,
thats 1200 watts, twice what the dimmer is rated for.

If I were you I would put this on a dedicated 15 amp circuit, run 14 guage
to the switch box and break the lights out into two or three strings, each
string with a 14 guage from the switch box and on its own dimmer switch.

If your going to use 75 watt bulbs, I think its OK to put 6 on a switch (450
watts), if your running 100 watt bulbs, I'd break it down to 4 on a switch
(400 watts). �I would not run any dimmer rated for 600 watts past about 480
watts (80% capacity).

You can find higher wattage dimmers, but they get very expensive very fast,
plus with two or three controls you don't have to turn them all on at once..

compact fluroscents or imliar can save power. but frequently arent
dimmable.

I have similiar issues here, the small CFs cant be dimmed