Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Availability of Japanese fluorescent lamps in America

On May 27, 2:03*pm, Major Debacle
wrote:
James Sweet wrote:

Perhaps I should have used the word "bulb" instead of "lamp", for it is
the fluorescent bulb which has burned out and needs replacing. The
fixture is in good shape. This omission on my part may or may not have
caused confusion. The fixture itself is built into a cabinet and the
electrical guts are inside a cavity. The back of the cabinet would have
to be removed to get to them.

The fluorescent bulb which has burned out looks like any American style
bulb except that it has just one nubby electrode at each end instead of
two pins. A standard 21 inch, American style, two pin fluorescent bulb
will fit in this fixture, but it flickers and gets extremely hot at the
ends. I've called a couple of light bulb suppliers in the area and
neither was able to help. I have an email in to Technico Marine,
http://www.technicomarine.com/and I'm waiting for a reply. If you have
any suggestions on where else to go for this bulb, please post.

Thanks...

No, "Lamp" is a correct term for a fluorescent "bulb", it's not really a
bulb afterall, but a tube.

That sounds like a slimline, I know I've seen fairly short slimline
lamps (tubes) at McLendon hardware near me, I can look next time I go
there. What is the diameter? I believe I've seen both T8 and T6.

This is the wrong length, but otherwise the sort I'm thinking
http://www.lbutampa.com/Lighting-Pro.../Light_Bulbs/S...

That picture looks exactly like the one I need to change. The diameter
of the tube is probably 3/4", so it would be a T6. I don't have it here
with me. Definitely not a T8. As for length, a two-pin slender style
tube of nominal size 21 inches fits this fixture.

I have run all this by several merchants who specialize in light bulbs
and none have even been able to come close.

I am probably going to have to change the fixtures.- Hide quoted text -

I am assuming you are in the USA, altho it would help if you had
stated that in your original post as we have a lot of very good UK
contributors here.

It would make a lot of sense if you told us what the fixture was that
the bulb is plugged into. If it was originally a Japanese fixture, it
was meant probably for 100 V AC and when you use it at 120 V AC which
is the standard nowadays for USA voltage, you are probably going to
shorten the life of the bulb. Did you ever see if the original bulb
got very hot at the ends???

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann (USA)