Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A different kind of metal forming

Stupendous Man wrote:
I intend to learn a new skill and shape aluminum panels to make a
motorcycle fairing. I have seen a skilled pro make them, and have
aquirred a beating bag and have an antique hand-held English wheel.
Anyone experienced with panel beating enough to know if the easier to
obtain 3003 Aluminum is as good a choice as 1100 series? Is .060 to thick?
Is an air plannishing hammer a substitite for a Wheel, or something to
be used with it?

No expert on using power tools, but 3003 is VERY easy to form by hand,
even! You should have no trouble forming .060" as desired, I just don't
know if that is thick enough to handle the vibration and wind loads plus
occasional bumps, etc.

Jon