Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

Default Electric cars a step nearer mainstream?

On Tue, 27 May 2008 12:41:35 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Fine for your 10 mile each way commute but that would be better served
with decent public transport rather than thousands of single occupancy
cars.

Public transport can not do what a private car can: we may have to go
back to it, but not without a struggle.

It can do the 10 mile each way commute fairly well though and while
people/companies still insist of people doing that to sit in front of
computer screen and occasionaly shuffle a bit of paper it ought to be
done.

And not a cure all for all trips by any stretch of the imagination.

I never said it was. But an awful lot of trips could be "saved" with
decent properly thought out and joined up PT system.

The extra time it takes might be the death of you when you need to get
to A & E.

Nearest proper A&E is the far side of Carlisle, I think Hexham also has an
A&E but not sure of it's hours but both are best part of an hour away by
Ambulance, which one would be travelling in if the injury/illness was that
bad. Mind you the wait for the ambulance as it takes an hour to drive in
to get you doesn't help. Having said that serious cases are shipped out
via Air Ambulance. At least there is a 24/7 Minor Injuries unit at the
cottage hospital that's only 3 miles away and has enough kit to at least
stabilise and keep you alive, though there is no paramedic just the local
GPs and trained nursing staff.

--
Cheers
Dave.