Posted to alt.home.repair
evodawg evodawg is offline

Default home remodeling question

Steve wrote:

evodawg wrote in news:yJK_j.3110$u7.1521@trnddc07:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"evodawg" wrote in message
how do you decide if an architect should get involved (on say
a basement refinish project, or room addition), vs. having the
contractor work of a set of rudimentary drawings ?

Not only do they "go better", but such plans are often *required*.
I know for a fact that they are here in Oakland, CA, based on
recent experience of an acquaintance remodeling his kitchen. The
city required an architect's drawings for the project.

That's BULL the only reason the city has to be involved is so they
can access the TAXES. You improve your property then the TAX MAN
wants to know.Improvements means more $$$$ for the city state and
anyone else who can get their grubby fingers on it. You don't need
a permit to remodel a kitchen or bath. If your building an addition
or doing anything structural then yes.

The OP mentioned room addition. If it is visible from outside, you
are better off getting the permit.

Oh Edwin, I was commenting on a followup not the original OP's
question. And yes I did clarify room additions and structural as
needing a permit. For a Kitchen or Bath remodel, forget it, its not
needed unless you want to throw more money to your city and state
assessors office.

I agree that a large part of the reason for a permit is to make sure the
tax assessor can increase your bill. The _official_ reason is to ensure
that your work meets code. My city, Arlington, TX, requires a permit for
anything that isn't repair, including a new fence.

One thing to worry about is work requiring a license, like electrical
and plumbing. Some licensed professionals will require that you get a
building permit.

My church wanted to build risers for the video room, just to support
chairs and worktables. The city required that they submit a plan for
approval. I submitted the hand-drawn plan under my so-called
contractor's license. Of course, that falls under commercial work, so
the rules are stricter. (It's a "so-called" license, because Texas
doesn't actually license contractors. I have to pay a fee each year to
cities where I work to be able to submit a request for a building
permit. It's just a business tax. Homeowners can submit requests for
free.)

Isn't that just a Business License?

I've heard stories that some localities (maybe the Northeast or
California?) will make you remove any unpermitted work, apply for a
permit, then do it all over again. This is supposedly without regard to
whether the work meets code. It's simply punishment. Any truth to those
stories?

Probably true, if it was an addition or something structural. Never heard of
any stories where this was applied to a kitchen or bath remodel.

Aside:
I'm working for a client who added 800 square feet to his house, but
never took out a permit. I think he'll have a surprise when he tries to
sell it. The buyer's lender will notice that the inspector reported a
bigger house than what the tax assessor knows about. The lender will
then insist on all kinds of extra paperwork, and the insurance company
will want proof the work was to code before they'll issue a policy. The
tax assessor will notice all this and bill him for back taxes plus
penalties.

Again we are talking about an addition to an existing house. Permit is
required. If your remodeling a kitchen, bath or "basement" which California
has little of, then I would not bother getting a permit unless you have
little faith in your contractor. I've been remodeling baths and kitchen for
years and not pulled a permit once. I know code and follow it. I don't cut
corners and my main concern is the customer, including his/her safety.

Hanging cabinets installing tile or wood floors, sweating copper pipes,
hanging drywall and light electrical work, has very little to do with code
violations/enforcement, and has more to do with adding value to your home.
Code enforcement dept. wants to know and then passes this off to the Tax
Collector. I know many Inspectors in my city and they have told me what
they are sent out to inspect is ridiculous, but they would never admit this
in public. Also have been told and seen for myself, "most" homeowners
should never attempt work that includes electrical and plumbing.

General Engineering Contractor

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"