Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default No heat during blackout?

On May 26, 11:39*pm, Red Green wrote:
Joe wrote in news:7ae01607-64b1-4759-81b9-
:

I had a 90 minute power loss last week and I noticed that my Weil
McLain oil fired boiler did not going on for the entire period. Up
until then I was under the foolish assumption that if there was a
blackout in the middle of winter my hot water boiler would continue to
heat the house. How can I protect against an extended power outage in
the middle of winter leaving me without power. Even if I had a
portable generator my electric oil pump is hard wired so there is
nothing to plug in. What do other people do in this situation?

Assuming you need 120v to run your furnace?...

You feed power from the generator outlet into your house by plugging it
into an house outlet. That outlet will feed the breakers through the
panel box. Make a 20A cord with two male ends.

IMPORTANT and LEGALLY REQUIRED. ALSO MORALLY SANE. You are required to
have a "TRANSFER SWITCH". This disconnects your panel box from the meter
while your generator is running. Besides the generator feeding your
house, it will feed power back to the "pole" or wherever. If someone is
working on the line trying to restore power and thinks the line is dead,
your generator could hurt/kill them. You would be liable. And even if the
lineman scenario didn't happen, I think things would get nasty when the
power came back on and the generator was running too.

For 120v, the generator must be plugged into an outlet that is on the
same side of the panel box bus (not physical side of breakers) as the
furnace. Power will be supplied to all house outlets/hardwired things on
that side of the bus. Make sure everything is turned off so it doesn't
bog down the generator. Someone running like a hair dryer will bog it
down and maybe trip generator breaker.

No personal experience but I've heard you can't plug the generator into a
house GFCI outlet like say in a garage.

DO NOT have anything on in the house that is 220v. It will only get 120
and burn stuff up.

I've never done this part but if you do this with a generator that has
220 output and can plug into a 220 house outlet, you should get power to
both sides of the panel box and all house outlets.

Hopefully some more savy electrical people in this group will shoot holes
or add good info to this post. This is welcomed from my POV so no one
gets hurt and you don't cause any damage on your end.

You dont plug it into a house outlet-backfeed a house, a transfer
panel has its own exterior box and plug. My 7500w uses 4 prong, 8ga
wire, weatherproof box, Look at a Generac Transfer Panel kit, its all
included at about 2-300. But if you want real cheap put the boiler on
a plug in outlet and unplug the boiler and gop to the generator with
an extension cord. Backfeeding a house is dumb and probably illegal