Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default HP CRT filament question

dodger741 wrote in message
I have an HP 8568B spectrum analyzer which went through shipping
recently. The display unit no longer works and it appears that the
CRT section is the culprit. I checked the HV and signals and on the
surface they appear OK. I did find some glass chips in the case
which leads me to believe the tube is damaged/broken. Taking the CRT
out is a pain. I can measure the filament resistance at about 4 ohms.
If the tube is cracked or broken, wouldn't the filament burn-up with
an infinite resistance??

On the 2 occassions I've come across scopes that have been dropped and the
CRT has failed then I've heard bits of glass pillars loose inside the tube
if you slowly turn the whole case around every whichway. Any smallbits of
external glass is likely to have come away from the socket area which you
may get away with.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England