Posted to sci.electronics.repair
2apart 2apart is offline

Default telephone, push 'pad' repair; electrolyte?

I am repairing a Panasonic wireless phone. It has a molded silicon
push pad which contains all the phone's buttons. Behind each 'button'
is a small black deposit which, when the button is pressed, contacts a
pwb land. There is, was, a gel coating on the board. I didn't know
if it was crap from the kitchen or an electrolyte; something that was
supposed to be there. What is it, and where can I purchase the gel...
if indeed it isn' t old food? (Yup, I cleaned it off, and now the
phone buttons don't work at all) Thanks.