Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default countersunk screw definition

In article
,
Martin Bonner writes
On May 27, 4:06 pm, bof wrote:
In message , Kevin Poole
writes

bof wrote:
Anyone tell me the correct definition for the length of a
countersunk screw that's 5mm long overall, comprising a 3mm threaded
section plus a 2mm deep countersunk head? Is it a 5mm or a 3mm screw,
or even something else?

5mm

Thanks,

I should have asked originally, is that the same with a pan head too?

For all screw head types, the length is measured to where the surface
of the wood/metal is supposed to go. This is usually the widest
diameter of the head. So if you have a round-head screw with 5mm
thread, and a 3mm diameter dome on top, then that's a 5mm screw.
Similarly, consider one of those screws that Wikipedia describes as
oval, and whose real name I can't remember; a 5mm version would be
3mm thread, 2mm countersinking, and 2mm dome on the top.

Raised countersunk IIRC
--
fred