Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Electric cars a step nearer mainstream?

"T i m" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 May 2008 12:12:31 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Rod" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7f2f081e-2...077b07658.html

But how do you heat an electric car? Not much fun using a totally
unheated
behicle in the winter.

You could wear warmer clothing. We don't heat our car, ever. We have a lot
of fun :-)

Too much information Mary. ;-)

Your imagination working overtime again, Tim :-)

I guess I might be one of the very few on here to actually have a full
plug_in electric car and have had it for over 20 years (not one of
these petrol driven capacitor-battery hybrid things).

It's not well designed (poor aerodynamics, low voltage, old battery
tech, lossy speed control, poor rolling resistance) but it is an
electric vehicle none the less. Developed the last time the petrol got
expensive.

When I worked at_the_top of the road it served me well as I could
charge it at work (by agreement) or home (from burnt coal/oil/gas) and
it was exempt road TAX and MOT.

But it was (is) just a toy, 20 miles range at 30 mph and batteries
that cost a fortune and die if left unused for a few months (unlike an
IC engine).

My model was quite rare though (I think it's only one of a few left),
good fun in the summer and very easy to maintain (dust the brakes out
once in a while is about it) ;-)

I'll take it off yer 'ands, guv ...

Mary