Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 14 AWG vs. 12 AWG for lighting?

On 5/26/2008 8:39 PM dnoyeB spake thus:

On Mon, 26 May 2008 15:27:59 -0700, vasilica_1 wrote:

How do I determine the maximum number of lighting fixtures I can wire
from one light switch? I'm thinking of 12 recessed light fixtures (on a
dimmer switch for the main room of the basement). But is 14 AWG
sufficient? or should I use 12 AWG from the switch to each?

its just lights. I cant see you needing more than 14. Anyway, if 14 is
not enough youll just get lower voltage, which will work to extend the
life of the bulbs anyway...

BZZZZZZZZT! Wrong answer.

The correct answer is "if 14 is not enough [meaning not big enough for
current being drawn through it] then you'll either 1) trip the breaker
or 2) start a fire".

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill