Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default 6" cut-off wheel in a bench grinder

I have to cut 2 perfectly matching slots in a 5 mm thick flat semicircular
piece of steel, each 15 mm by 5mm.
As per suggestion on another thread I doubled up on the hacksaw blades. This
gave me only just over 2 mm. Cutting this length with a file is not a
prospect I relish. I tried with a 3/32 cut-off wheel in a 4-1/2" grinder.
This works but holding the grinder in exactly right plane is tricky.

I wondered: what if I put a 6" cut off wheel into my bench grinder. I would
have access and control. Even if the wheel produced a thinner slot, one
could control two passes this way more easily than with a hand-held grinder.

Is anything like this feasible? has anyone done this? The maximum speed for
the 6" cut-off wheels easily exceed the 3,500 rpm of the grinder. At this
point I cannot see any other safety issues beyond those related to using a
bench grinder in the normal fashion.

Failing this, what is the maximum number of hacksaw blades anyone tried
cutting with at once?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC