Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Electric cars a step nearer mainstream?

Roland Perry gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Sub 200 mile trips account for probably 95% of al domestic motoring and
about 50% of commercial motoring.

200 miles is a very large threshold. I'd use 50 miles as where "long
distance" starts.

Which, going by the battery-to-mileage efficiency of the Pious would
require 75kWh of capacity.

There's also the problem of people not necessarily having access to
charging sockets at either home _or_ work currently, which would require
a LOT of infrastructure upgrades in order to be provided.

And where's all this extra electricity coming from, anyway?

London ALONE sees 33bn vehicle km per year. That's about 15bn kWh of
electrickery at Pious battery-mode usage rates. 15 terawatt-hours.

Now, remind me why I was meant to be changing from 60w incandescent light
bulbs to 11w CFL?