Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default 14 AWG vs. 12 AWG for lighting?

In ,
wrote:
On May 26, 6:42*pm, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
* * The wire size is dependent on the current the line will carry and the
rating of the breaker/fuse. *It is also important that you use a dimmer that
is designed to handle the maximum current as well. *In both cases I
recommend going higher on the wire rather than lower if in doubt. *Go lower
rather than higher on the breaker/fuse. *You may put 25 watt lamps in there,
but some fool may decide to use 200 watt lamps.

All valid concerns. I planned on running 12AWG to the switch and then
14AWG thereafter to each of the lights. The recessed fixture maximum
wattage is 75W. I will check on the rating of the dimmer switch.

I remember reading that it is against code to mix wire sizes in a branch
circuit. I don't know if it is against NEC or a local building code
somewhere, but I have the impression that most local codes follow NEC.

- Don Klipstein )