Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Anyone familiar with coil winding machines ?

In article ,
"N_Cook" wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in message
I can take some pics of our machine or some copies from the
relevant operator's manual pages in the next day or two if you like,
with further observations.

That would be very helpful.

http://members.cox.net/prestwich/winder001.jpg
http://members.cox.net/prestwich/winder003.jpg
http://members.cox.net/prestwich/winder008.jpg
http://members.cox.net/prestwich/winder011.jpg

This is a motorized winder, obviously, so take whatever is applicable
for your machine. We found that the tiniest details are important. For
example:

Dereeling counterclockwise, on our machine, makes a significant
difference.

Spool diameter is important. Too large, and the wire gets tossed around
too much on its way from curved to straight.

It's tempting to wind with the minimum possible tension, but the result
will be loose coils, which may or may not be an issue in your
application. Our dancer arm is set to the minimum, but the wire also
goes through three felt pinchers.

Placement of felt tensioning pads is widely adjustable, and we only
found the best positioning after much experimentation. We have one near
the dereeler and two close to the bobbin.

The bobbin should be dead smooth, obviously. No burrs allowed, and it
has to run true.