Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Petrol strimmer / brush cutter - OK Sorted

John Rumm wrote:

Thanks to all those who responded. I got the impression from most of the
comments that the basic models will probably hang together well enough
for my intended use.

I need a petrol strimmer. Basic requirements a

ok, went to have a look at some in the flesh. The models available at
the place I went to were a bunch of fairly high end Stihl models and
Ryobi at the toy end of the market.

I had a chat with the chap behind the counter (who from past experience
seems to know his kit quite well). He seemed to rate the Ryobi as "ok".
He said they sell lots, and don't get many back, and the spares are
available and cheap. He said he has a sold a few to trade customers, who
treat them as disposable, and bin and replace them every couple of years.

While not being a great fan of Ryobi kit in general, the deal on offer
was reasonably compelling, so I thought I may as well give it a go.

So I got of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/79750/...re-Brushcutter

Came with the chainsaw pruner attachment as a freebie.

I got the articulated hedge trimmer thing for the end, and managed to
get him to throw in an additional extension bar, and a couple of bottles
of 2 stroke oil as well. Total price £230.

Got as far as assembling, and test strimming a bit of grass before
giving up for some less inclement weather! Seems reasonably solid - just
about long enough on its own (and plenty long enough with the extension
bar in there).

I will do a more detailed review after I have had a chance to use it.

--
Cheers,

John.