William E. Prisavage

Default Kitchen cabents using Mills Pride boxes and custom made doors / drawer fronts

I'm in the process of doing this right now.The difference is I've built my
own uppers and doors because I wanted a custom height and didn't want to
deal with a custom order with H.D.
I did get the lowers by Mills Pride from H.D. and am making a few drawer
fronts and doors to match the uppers I designed.(I figured if I wanted a
custom cabinet it would be good for a few tools from SWIUI)
If the lower cabinets require doors, the hinges come with the base cabinets.
Since you are going with a paintgrade door the cost may be less expensive
than M.P. prices.
If you are thinking of ordering them through the net do a Google search on
kitchen cabinet doors and you'll find plenty of sites that will quote from
the square footage.
If you have a local cabinet maker available check his pricing,shipping isn't
cheap.
I do have a question.Since you are posting this question here have you
considered making the doors yourself?No it probably won't be cheaper,but you
have control over the finished product.
One more thing about M.P. cabinets.If you go with their lowers,make sure to
check out the type of drawer that comes with the unit.
They use a "wire side drawer " in some of the lowers.This may come into
consideration if you have someone else make the drawer fronts.I believe full
drawers are available as an option.Another route to take is get the base
cabinets without any hardware and build the drawers yourself.
One word about the Blue box store.I originally bought some of their ready
made cabinets that were similar to M.P.(melamine with wood doors) both units
were broken in the box and returned them.I wasn't crazy about the RTA
cabinets at first,but found them to be decent value for the money.No they
are not the same quality as a build in place cabinet,but the Euro style
system has been around for a while and a lot of cabinet shops are switching
to that system.

"David Jensen" wrote in message
om...
I am remodeling a 50 year old house and installing new kitchen
cabinetry, among other things.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

David