Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim Phipps[_2_] Tim Phipps[_2_] is offline

Default IBM desktop PC can not boot from CD

gareth magennis wrote:
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
. ..
Last time I downloaded floppy boot disks from the Interweb,
most of them (95 and 98) wouldn't work, don't know why.

The CD ROM -- such as the one for W2K -- should have a utility that
creates
the required floppies.

Just had a look on my Win98SE disk and can't find the utility amongst the
zillions of files. I know there is one that launches during setup, but can
you launch it just off the CD?

Gareth.

William is correct that there is a utility on the Windows 2000 (and XP)
cds for creating the set of floppies required to initialise the setup
process if your system can't be booted from a cd. AFAIK there was no
such utility on the Win98 cds.

To the OP: I am surprised that a P-II system does not support booting
from cd. Be sure that your cd was made to be bootable. If it is an
original operating system cd it should be. If you cannot find where to
change the boot sequence there is often a hotkey that you can press at
boot time to give you a menu of bootable drives to choose from. IIRC on
IBM systems you need to press F12.

--
Tim Phipps

replace "invalid" with "uk" to reply by email