Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Graz[_2_] Graz[_2_] is offline

Default Putting a Chrysler car radio in a Ford

On Sat, 24 May 2008 14:39:18 +0000 (UTC), bz
wrote:

wrote in news:3u5g34pgvv2s9adjrn8nj0vggddvpnu0sk@
4ax.com:

Security code ????? WTF are you talking about. This is a radio, not
a bank safe. Are you serious about this?

Yep. The radio in my wifes 93 Honda isn't working right now because we need
to go to the dealer and get the code. We had to pull a fuse to check
something and have lost the code.

I have not dealt with any
of the new stuff like this. Why is a security code needed and where
is it entered?

Most car radios/stereos now have a factory programmed security code.
If the power is disconnected, you need to key the code in through the
channel buttons before the radio will work.

This is to discourage thieves from ripping out your dash to steal your
radio.
They can't use or sell it (or that is the theory) because it can't be used
without the code.

Many more recent car radios have "Face Off" security. The front panel
is removable and is supposed to be taken with you when you leave the
car.