Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Strange followup to my ironwood post

On Sun, 25 May 2008 19:02:59 -0700 (PDT), robo hippy
wrote:

Mac,
I just picked up a good sized Big Leaf Maple with a lot of figure in
it today. I will do a few bowls that size, just because I can, but in
the past, those are a pretty limited market.

I feel your pain.. lol
The few big (over 14") bowls that I've sold went for less than the smaller
ones.. Either a salad bowl or no sale, and definitely not art..

There is NO big wood down here, so a "large" piece might be a 6" or 7" ironwood
bowl..
A friend just brought me 4 green oak rounds from Lake Tahoe.. About 18" diameter
logs and cracked to hell by the time he got them here..
I'm turning then anyway, just for the almost forgotten pleasure of sending those
long, wet shavings flying.. gotta love it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing