Default Kitchen cabents using Mills Pride boxes and custom made doors /drawer fronts

What about faceframes ?? ?? ?? Usually, they match the doors/drawers !!

Ask your local cabinetmakers if they'll consider making you some
unfinished cabinets .. .. .. most of them will, and at a substantially
reduced price .. .. ..

David Jensen wrote:

I am remodeling a 50 year old house and installing new kitchen
cabinetry, among other things.

I am always trying to figure out a more cost effective way to acheive
a certain result and that has my mind at work in regards to acquiring
cabinets.

I came up with the possibility of buying the Mills Pride brand of
white cabinet boxes from home depot. These are the kind that you have
to assemble yourself out of a box. Because Mill's Pride doesn't have
a door style that I like, I thought I could go to one of the online
sites that sell cabinet doors (do a search on Google for "wood cabinet
doors" or just "cabinet doors") and have them make doors that would
exactly work with the Home Depot boxes. I'm looking for a wood door
(non thermofoil) that would be painted or stained very close to white.

After all, it seems that 80% of what separates a cheap cabinet from an
expensive one is the doors. I know, plywood boxes are better than the
melamine covered particle board, but I'm not planning on soaking them
in water. . . I've used the Mills Pride cabinets before (box and
doors) and they are really not that bad. It's the doors (and drawers)
that matter most. They just don't have the door look that my wife
desires.

It seems like if I could get the door maker to cut in the holes for
the fancy hidden hinges that Mills Pride uses so that they line up
with the predrilled holes in the boxes, it would look all right in
that respect too.

I honestly haven't really priced it out carefully to see if you are
really saving that much money by trying this, but I suspect that it
could save some. It would have to be pretty good savings to be worth
the hassle.

What do you think? Good idea, bad idea, any other ideas? Is there
any place on line that sells kitchen cabinets at significantly better
prices (lower markups) than the local shops or Lowes or Home Depot?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

David

--
I AM NOT PARANOID .. .. .. but EVERYONE thinks I am !! !! !!

__ Bob __